Simple Ways to Improve Your Colon Health
What goes in, must come out. If you are not having regular bowel movements (3 a day is optimal), try these Simple Ways to Improve Your Colon Health tips to get things moving.
- Water! Water softens the food we eat and just like in plumbing, keeps everything moving along. Water is best ingested alone, away from meals, so that it does not interfere with the stomach’s digestive process.
- Fruits, vegetables and whole grains, lots of them, provide necessary fiber and water that keep our insides clean.
- Chew your food. Mastication is the first process in digestion, and when food is not chewed thoroughly, it makes it that much harder on the rest of your system.
- Flax seed. This should be freshly ground (you can use a coffee grinder) and added to anything from oatmeal to smoothies to salads. Flax contains both soluble and insoluble fiber as well as Omega-3 fatty acids.
- Chia seeds. Yes, these are the same ones featured on a favorite 1980’s tv commercial (their use can be tracked as far back as the ancient Aztecs) but they are also excellent for our health and have been used to relieve constipation. Extremely high in Omega 3s, chia seeds slow down the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar and also help to keep you hydrated. They are available at health food stores – please do not ingest seeds meant for growing houseplants!
- Probiotics. Naturally found in yogurt or as supplements these healthy bacteria help keep the digestive system well balanced. A supplement brand that I like is Primal Defense Ultra by Garden of Life.
- Exercise. If you don’t move, neither will your bowels. A little physical stimulation is very important to keep everything running smoothly. Try walking, yoga or any other form of movement that suits you.
- When life gives you constipation, make lemonade! Half of a fresh, organic lemon mixed with warm water and a little honey if desired, is a great way to start your day and cleanse your system.