Before you reach for that antihistamine, you might consider an eastern medicine approach to seasonal allergy relief. Both TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) and Ayurveda treats allergies holistically and rather than focusing only on symptoms they work to get to the root cause which is often a hypersensitive immune system. Natural sneeze relief is possible!
Try to avoid using either over-the-counter or prescription drugs for Sneeze Relief
- Acupuncture is an excellent approach which treats both the symptoms and the root cause.
- Local raw honey and/or bee pollen (not if you’re allergic or for children under 1 year) can be eaten daily, preferably weeks prior to the pollen season. It’s believed to help build your immunity to the pollen.
- Meditation is the best way to alleviate stress which also contributes to allergies, believe it or not.
- Staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water will help to thin that annoying mucus.
- Eliminate dairy and sugar as much as possible.
Dairy can often thicken mucus and sugar will suppress your immune system.
- Eat/drink more Nettle Leaf. Many allergy sufferers swear by it plus it’s loaded with beneficial vitamins and minerals.
Nettle Leaf is great for your bones and adrenal glands also.
And last, but not least, the Neti pot
Its use has actually become quite mainstream and you should be able to find one even in your local drugstore. I prefer the ceramic over the plastic. Please use good filtered water or bottled water in your Neti pot.
- Please use good filtered water or bottled water in your Neti pot.
- Be sure to use warm water and the correct type (non-iodized) of salt or it will sting.
Using a Neti pot will help to flush out irritants and thin the mucus (I promise that’s the last time I’ll use that word!). It’s a great practice to add to your daily routine, but especially during a cold or in allergy season. There should be no discomfort whatsoever. (If you are so stuffed that nothing is moving, a more forceful option is a nasal syringe which can be found in most health food stores.) The Neti pot is obviously an easy target to poke fun at and there are numerous gross videos out there, but I chose the least offensive!